Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Hug your Dad... this Father's Day!

A small gesture goes a long way in letting one's father know how thankful his son is to him for everything that he has done. I do not need an expensive gift to express myself. Just need to wrap my arms around him and give him the best gift ever, a tight hug, let him know that his small gestures of love have helped me be the person I am today. Love you, Dad!

My memory is eidetic enough to remember how he taught us to do our own work. He used to provide only external help and we siblings had to complete our tasks on our own with his guidance. That was during our childhood. As we grew older and entered teenage, he started giving us outdoor tasks to perform, occasionally; To the bank, to LIC office, to local vegetable market, or a ration shop so as to make us aware how the daily life functions.

There used to be a sever water crisis in our residential neighbourhood. So initially him and me used to go on bike and get back the water filled in a 20 litre can from 2 kms away. Gradually it was me who had to shoulder the responsibility when it became ultimate necessary to complete the chores everyday, on a bicycle. He taught me and handed over one crucial responsibility of our household. These small things, they go a long way in ensuring that you know your place in the world and find your footing; he was always available to guide us through.

Whenever we got cold and/or cough, it was essentially mom's job to provide hot beverages with cinnamon and ginger, and to apply Vicks Vaporub to our chest and forehead and nose. But whenever mom was visiting her own parents, it was him who used to cook proper food for us daily and whenever we were sick, he took care of us none lesser than mom. He invited us to a park nearby after office and used to play Badminton with us. He is the primary reason I play the sport for my office now in zonal tournaments. He made me what I am, be it in academic/professional field, in sports, in person as a whole. We could never repay what our parents do for us selflessly. So, today I reach out and pay my tribute to him, by hugging him.


The best Father's Day gift is one you don't have to unwrap ... #HugYourDad


P.S. -- This father’s day, I am expressing my love towards my dad by participating in the #HugYourDad activity at BlogAdda in association with Vicks.

No comments: